Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

CONSTRUCTING a little boy's 2nd birthday...

Well, this post is long over due!  I can't believe it's taken me over two weeks to get this post published.  Two weeks ago, we celebrated my little guy's 2nd birthday!  He is really into construction and tools and anything with wheels, your typical little boy.  I had a few ideas of what to do for his party (Finding Nemo, Pirate Party, and Construction).  I finally settled on doing a construction theme.

To make things a little easy on myself, I went with e-vites this year.  I usually enjoy spending the time to create our own unique invitations, but I didn't want to stress myself out any more than was necessary.  The wording involved 'constructing a party.'

I used authentic construction tape for streamers and decorations along with orange and black streamers (perfect since they're around this time of year for Halloween).  For the kids, I thought it would be fun for them to have their own construction hats (Target $1spot and Dollar Deals $1) with their names on them along with safety vests also personalized with their names (purchased $1 orange plastic table cloth and cut to size, fastened with duct tape).  The hats and vests took most of my time, trying to peel price tags and cut patterns took about 2 hrs from start to finish (completed while the kiddos were asleep).

Food was our typical Filipino/American party food.  For the kids we had pigs in a blanket, dino nuggets, an assortment of fruit/veggies, pasta salad, pancit, and barbecued meats.  The cake was especially easy and fun to make.  I baked it the night before (2 rectangle pans used) and then decorated with chocolate icing, praline ice cream topping, German chocolate marshmallows and a construction vehicle set that doubled as a birthday present.

We played a few games, pinata (what kind of party is it without one), balloon pop, and mini pumpkin painting.  I set up a plain white banner for the kids to draw on and decorate while guests arrived (worked wonders at keeping them busy).

The hats and vests doubled as favors, goodie bags were made with brown lunch bags with each kid's name on it and was filled with candies/goodies from the pinata.  My little guy had a 'birthday shirt' I decorated with some paint and clip art I found online.

Here are a few photos of the day, hope you get some good tips and ideas for your own 'Party under construction!'












No comments:

Post a Comment