Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Day #1 of Project #3

While my little guy napped, Stella and I enjoyed the beautiful summer morning with the garage open and began sanding our new, old vanity. Stella took a bag of coloring books and toys out to the shady lawn and sat on a beach towel under the tree. She was occupied for a while and Bro slept for a few hours so I was able to sand all of the top, legs and sides of the vanity (all the easy stuff). I started tearing off the 100+ year old veneer that covered the sides and inside of the panels. Whatever kind of glue they used back then sure was worth it's weight in gold! I had to dig around to find a tool with a flat, sharp edge.

At first, I tried a paint scraper, but it wasn't sharp enough. I went through Al's tool box and found a small chisel and that did the job. I still had to put lots of elbow grease into it though.

After an hour and a half of work, I called it a day. Maybe I'll try again tonight. Of course, all that's left is removing the rest of the veneer and sanding the front (that has all the detail work). I should be able to paint it by next week. I'm pretty excited this has been an easy project so far. Hopefully the mirror stand won't give me too many headaches!





No comments:

Post a Comment