Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

That picture frame cost how much?

Labor Day weekend, we were lucky enough to have our kid's pictures taken by my sister in law's brother.  He recently started his photography business and was in town for the holiday.  We went to the Hampton Roads Soccer Complex a few miles from our house and let the kids do their thing.
The weather was perfect for pictures, a little overcast.  We let them run wild kicking the soccer balls, playing chase, digging in the sand pit, playing dress up, riding in the wagon and then ending everything with some lollipops.  The results were AMAZING! 

When Garry sent me the pictures, I had such a hard time choosing 3 or 4, so I had 10 photos printed.  10 photos usually means 10 frames and that = mega bucks.  I remembered my favorite 'bargain shops' (aka Goodwill Store and Habitat Store) had picture frames.  It didn't matter that I didn't like the color or the artwork in the frame, the idea was to find shapes and silhouettes I liked since I was going to spray paint them anyway.  I scored 7 frames for less than $10, I'm still on the hunt for 3 more.
I was a little scared of painting the frames since I'd never done it before, but heck, if I can refinish side tables and dressers and desks, surely I can redo a few little frames.  I can now see why people get addicted to spray painting stuff.  It's fun and easy and cheap!  So I lightly sanded and sprayed all the frames on newspaper out in the yard.  A few hours of dry time and they were ready for pictures! I just had to add some hanger clips to the back and cut some paper for the matting.
4 frames from Goodwill - $6





Sand the frames lightly to remove the shine

Spray them lightly and evenly

Measure where you want the hanger

The finished product, excuse the bean bags

I didn't hang them level on purpose for the sheer fact that I didn't have a level on hand and I like the look of having the frames grow 'organically.' There is a little tweaking and straightening needed, but I'm very pleased with the final outcome.
Total cost breakdown: FRAMES 10 for $12, PICTURE HANGERS 2 for $2.50, SPRAY PAINT 1 for $5, PICTURES 10 for $14.  Project total less than $35.

1 comment: